Friday, October 18, 2013

Dr Seuss Quilt

This quilt turned out to be more fun than I ever could have imagined! It was so much fun playing with layout and the fun colors and patterns! When I was finishing up the quilting, my son asked if it was going to be his quilt; I don't know if I'm ready to give it up yet. ;) Alas, he looked at me with his sweet, warm eyes and you can guess who's bed this quilt now drapes across. Oh well, it probably is more appropriate in a 4 year olds room.


Many months ago, I received a box of fabric from a dear friend and it included this set of Dr Seuss fabrics.  I wasn't sure what to do with it at first, but wanted to capitalize on the panel that came with it.  As I began cutting, the quilt kind of put itself together. I found the black-with-white-dot fabric at the LQS and it just worked perfect!


After I finished the main part of the quilt, I was wishing for more. I decided to add a border in a solid color. I went to the LQS to pick a color and surprised myself when I went for blue. I  thought red was going to be the color of choice. More evidence that it was meant to be my son's quilt I guess.


When it came to quilting, I was stumped once again with what to do. This quilt is so different than anything I've done before; I knew the quilting would have to be different, too. One night while working on another project, it came to me! This is a pretty modern-style quilt, it should have modern-style quilting.  It was like giving myself license to have fun and be a little wild with my stitching. I used bubbles on one fabric, clamshell scoops on another, squares on another (the scariest one, but it turned out awesome!), horizontal squiggly lines, and finally diagonal squiggly lines on the last. I left the panel blocks alone because I didn't want to impede on the pictures. It was sooo much fun!! I love how it looks and I got a lot of practice in of the different FMQ techniques! I am no longer afraid of squares, bubbles, or clamshells! Yeah!


I decided to hand bind this one.  It is just too special not to. I used simple black (they were out of the black dot fabric and I didn't have enough to finish the binding) and it worked really well.  Created a great frame for the border to pull it into the quilt. The hand-binding went a lot faster than last time.  I'm either getting better or the black did a great job at hiding my poor stitching. Either way, it turned out fantastic!


I am so happy this quilt, and am so excited to share it with everyone! I am linking up with Crazy Mom Quils for Finished Friday! Hope everyone has a great weekend! Let me know what you think of this fun finish!

8 comments:

  1. What a great use of these fabrics! I love this quilt. I came over from Crazy Mom Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great quilt - what a lucky little man! You just made a series of fantastic choices on this one - the black polka dots, the blue border, the black binding. Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. I really like the light blue border, and the black sashings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so nervous about the light blue border. I was relieved when it worked. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Love your quilt. I have some Dr. Seuss fabric, and am loving the polka dot sashing. Like you, I won't want to give it away, and my little boys are all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I plan to use the kid excuse as long as I can. They are both still little, so I have lots of time to 'make quilts for them' ;). Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete