Monday, October 21, 2013

Honey Chicken Stir Fry

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but... I LOVE CHINESE FOOD! At first, I think my husband thought it was cute, but he quickly realized it meant he needed to learn to love it as well. He's come a long way, but there are some things I still haven't sold him on.  This meal has made the cut and been bumped to the top of the list!


The honey in this recipe adds such a subtle sweetness.  The meat is succulent, the broccoli adds a freshness, and of course the almonds add a little texture.  It's also a very healthful meal, which is something I look for when cooking for the fam. Oh, I forgot to mention how quick it is! Less than a 30 minute meal; awesome!


I don't remember where I originally found this recipe, although I have made some changes to it. It started off with stir fry sauce, but I didn't like all the extra's in the sauce and wanted something a little more simple.  I replaced the sauce with some soy sauce, and it worked great! The salty flavor of the soy sauce with the sweet of the honey is fantastic! I also love that this recipe calls for one bag of broccoli pieces; the convenience of it is wonderful. I am sure fresh cooked broccoli would be wonderful, too.  If you try it, let me know. Next time you're craving a little chinese food, this is the meal for you.


Honey Chicken Stir Fry

1 lb chicken, cubed
1 bag frozen broccoli florets
3 Tbs light soy sauce
3 Tbs cornstarch
1/4 c water
3 Tbs honey
crushed red pepper to taste
1/4 c almonds (or cashews or peanuts, if you prefer)



Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a couple tablespoons oil (canola or peanut) in a stir fry pan at medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, add the chicken and stir fry for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Heat the broccoli in the microwave and set it aside.
Once the chicken is cooked through, add the soy sauce, cornstarch mixed with water, honey, and red pepper (the pepper adds heat, so the hotter you want, the more you add).  Bring the sauce to a boil.  Stir in the broccoli and almonds, and you're ready to serve with some rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment