Friday, October 11, 2013

The Haunted House

It was time. I needed a new halloween quilt to hang for the month of October.  Yes, I have other months/holidays that don't have a quilt yet (sorry St. Patrick's Day), but this is a month that is so easy to buy too much fabric for. A few years ago I purchased some sale halloween fabric from a LQS, Cactus Quilt Shop.  I had big plans for it, that were put on hold for various reasons. I'm on a mission this year to work through my fabric stash of projects I've bought for, and I was super excited to work on this one!


I fussy-cut the haunted houses and graveyard scenes out and picked the complimentary purple and orange to frame them. As usual, I wish I'd had more to go around; it would have been nice to have more blocks for this.  I was able to use a couple of the extra blocks that wouldn't fit in the quilt as a table runner. I bordered it with the blue to 'wrap' it all together, and to make the quilt a little bigger.


When it came to quilting, I knew I wanted to put spider webs on the blocks.  It was so fun! There are so many different ways to make spider webs, so I played with one method and maybe I'll just have to make another quilt so I can play with some of the other methods. I decided to match the swirl pattern that is in the fabric of the purple and orange sashing, and then continued that theme in the border of the quilt.


I was so excited to hang this quilt for Halloween!  It's been so long with the same quilt, and this one is bright and fun.  There's lots of things going on in the scenes that my kids like to look at, such as searching for the black cat. Now it's time to get some pumpkins to carve and check fits on costumes! Yeah!

I'm linking with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finished Friday. It's totally the season to get things done; I can't wait to see what everyone else has been finishing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment