Monday, November 11, 2013

Mac'n'Beef

In our house, we tend to stick to the favorites when things are busy or crazy. I guess I just can't focus on trying something new when there's a lot of other things going on, or I'm distracted by my latest quilting project. That's when meals like this are so wonderful. It's one of my top go-to meals when I don't have much time but I still want a hot meal on the table.


This was originally adapted from a Campbells cookbook recipe. I changed a few things around, including not using a can of soup, but rather a homemade version instead. I also like to change up the noodles.  My husband prefers the rotini (corkscrew) which is the original type used, but I like penne or campanelle. Any way you go, the sauce on this beefy recipe is creamy and not overpowering. It allows the flavor of the beef and onions to come through. Definitely a good recipe to have in your , 'OMG I'm out of time today' arsenal.

Mac'n'Beef

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
3 Tbs butter, divided
3 Tbs flour
1/2 c milk
1/2 c chicken stock
1/4 c celery, chopped
1/4 c ketchup
1 Tbs worcestershire sauce
2 c cooked pasta (corkscrew, penne, campanelle, elbow, etc)

Cook the noodles and set aside. Meanwhile, get the sauce started by melting 2 Tbs butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add 3 Tbs flour to create a paste. Then add the milk, chicken stock, and the celery. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow it to simmer, stirring occasionally, while you melt 1 Tbs butter in a large saute pan. Brown the onions. Once softened and translucent, add the beef and brown. Drain any excess fat off the meat.
To the sauce in the saucepan, add the ketchup and worcestershire sauce.  Once heated through, add it to the meat. Stir together and add the noodles. Stir it all together and you're dinner is ready. Serve with green beans, a green salad, or even carrots, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks good and easy, I'll have to try it soon. We took your Mac and Cheese to a party last month and they requested it for the pot luck we are going to tomorrow. I love how easy it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad the Mac n Cheese was a hit! B loves the Mac n Beef! I think it's requested like, once a week. Hope the Mac n Cheese goes well again at your next event.

      Delete