Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Practicing with Feathers

I finished this Oriental Triangles Quilt several months ago and found a backing for it this summer. Now, I finally got it pinned so I can quilt it.  I wanted to practice my FMQ feathers with this quilt, including trying to fill the space.  I saw a lot of different techniques for filling the space, including a single stem with long feathers and multiple stems with lots of small feathers. I went with the single stem and long feathers.


I am excited with how it's turning out so far. I was a little sad when nap time ended and I had to put it away. I think I could have kept going for hours. I chose the green thread because the theme of the quilt seems to be green, but this also allows for some visibility on some of the different triangles that aren't green, like this one...


I kind of wish I had mixed it up and done some with single stem and some with double stem.  When I practiced on my dry-erase panel (NEED to show you that soon; so cool!) it felt like the single stem looked and worked better so I went with it.  I guess I'll just have to make another quilt to practice the other style.  Shouldn't be a problem; I still have several projects stacked up and waiting for my attention.

I'm linking up today with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday. Maybe I can get some quilting ideas for my Bear Paw in the Honey Quilt.  That's up next. I would love to hear how you think it's going; feel free to leave a comment. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment