Friday, September 27, 2013

Finished the Little Ditties

So, I hit up the local sewing supply store and bought a couple of zippers, some velcro, and of course, more thread (always running out of that stuff).  I wanted to try a couple of different closure techniques to see which I like the best. First, I made a couple more bags. I made the width of the bottom a little smaller than the first 2 (again, experimenting).

Then, I attached the different closure systems...

For the Velcro, it was pretty straight-forward stitching it inside the bag. It works well, but I'm worried it will get dirty after lot of use or loose it's grippy-ness.

The addition of the zipper before completion was quite a challenge.  I had a really hard time working with the small size that was not the exact size as the zipper. I also really wanted to hidden seams for the lining inside the bag, so I couldn't attache the zipper before attaching the two sides together. So, I was not so impressed with that one.

When I added the zipper after I completed the bag, things went much smoother.  I also think it gave a nicer finished look. If I continue making more with zippers, I think this is the way I want to do it. I will need to perfect my skill at zipper attachment in general, though.

Overall, I'm really happy with them.  They are ready for snack storage on our next outing.  I want to try one more thing with the velcro; more of a flap that comes up and over the top.  It would be a very versatile pattern that I could use in various sizes, if it works.  We'll see.  Maybe something I can try this weekend, or maybe not until next week. 

Until then, I am hoping to finish Seuss today.  It's such a nice day, it's perfect for a little quilting. I'm linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish Friday. And now, it's back to work.

1 comment: