Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Quick Scalloped Potatoes

If it were up to my husband, we'd have these mashed potatoes with every meal. Unfortunately for him, I like a little more variety than that. So I am always on the hunt for other potato recipes that are simple and have a similar flavor to the mashed potatoes he so loves while being different enough that I'm not getting bored.

Every time my Mom makes ham, she also makes these awesome scalloped potatoes from a Martha Stewart recipe.  I finally asked for it and tried it a few times. My hubby wasn't sold, until I started making some small changes that made them more my style. It worked! He's finally on board with trying some different styles, and has even requested these a few times. Yeah!


The recipe is pretty flexible, you too can tailor it to fit your families tastebuds. We've had it with chicken, steak, and ham, but it would also taste great with pork chops. When slicing the potatoes, try not to go too thin. I use a 1/4" chopping tool; I found the Kitchen Aid Mixer attachment sliced too thin. I have not yet tried my slicing tool on my new Cuisenart food processor.


Quick and Easy Scalloped Potatoes

3-4 potatoes, peeled and sliced (Golden is best, but I used good-ole Russet just fine)
1 c heavy cream
1 Tbs butter
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbs onion, finely chopped
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese


Pre-heat oven to 375. In an oven-safe coated cast iron pan (I use this Le Creuset pan) melt butter and sauté the onion. When ready, add the minced garlic and stir to combine. Pour in the cream and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, salt and pepper and reduce to a simmer. Simmer with the lid on, stirring occasionally for about 10-15 minutes. The potatoes should be tender, but not mushy.

Remove from heat and sprinkle the cheese on top. Without the lid, place it in the oven and bake until  the top browns and cheese melts, about 10-15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Best served immediately.

*Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe handed onto me from my Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment