Thursday, February 12, 2015

Making Cycle-Snacking Easier

Strange title, I know, but it's for good reason. My recent finish is a little different than usual. And, of course, there's a story to this...

My son has become very aware of gift-giving in the last few months. It started with Christmas when I wanted him to start thinking about giving to others.  Apparently the message stuck because he is ready to give everyone presents now. Not the message I was totally going for, but we'll work with it.

Fast forward to last weekend. It was my Dad's birthday and we were celebrating on Sunday. My son was adamant we needed to get him a present and I told him we could make something. My Dad enjoys cycling and a while ago I made him a little pouch to hang on his front bar so he'd have easy access to snacks, his cell phone, etc. It was my first try and there were a lot of design flaws. I have been talking about making a new one but hadn't done it yet.


We had our project picked so I asked my son to pick out some colors he thought Granddad would like. He pulled this beauty from my scrap stash. I did a basic quilting just to hold the layers together as I completed the rest of the bag.


One of the design changes was the velcro. Last time I made it horizontal and it only fit one bike. This time I made them vertical so that it would be more adjustable and wouldn't flap in the wind when riding.


I also changed the elastic on the pocket. I lined the pocket with green to try and lighten it up a bit so it's easier to see. I sewed a pocket for the elastic to string thru and pulled tight. I pleated the bottom so it would allow items to sit down IN the pouch.


Finally, I bound the bag with a solid navy. I am really happy with how this one turned out. I tried it on my bike and it seems to work great! I sure hope he likes it. We put a few of his fave snacks in the pouches and wrapped it up. It was a hit! Kudos to my son for making me do this.  It was a totally awesome finish!

I'm linking up with Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for NTT and Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish Friday. Feels good to have a finish again. I want to keep that going.

1 comment:

  1. Clever design and good for you and your son instilling the desire for gift giving and handmade

    ReplyDelete