Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Dressing Up My Christmas Tree

In 1987 a friend and I went to Hallmark and purchased our very first miniature ornaments. It started something in me that continues today, although it's harder to find miniature ornaments now-a-days. Every Black Friday (or as close to it as possible) I set up the 'baby' tree. It's always the first decoration I put up.  It's little twinkling lights, and colorful ornaments. Oh, I just love it!


As soon as I got the 'baby' tree, I needed a skirt.  This was well before my quilting days began, so I improvised as only a teenager can.  I drew a pattern out with a sharpie on some felt and cut one out. I even cut out holly leaves and berries and glued them on. It wasn't much, but it has worked for over 20 years.


Well, I've come a long way with my sewing skill and it felt like it was time to make a new skirt for my beloved tree. I picked out some Christmas fabric I purchased from Connecting Threads a couple of years ago on clearance, and got to work. I didn't realize how fast I'd be able to make, or how awesome it would look! Man, why didn't I do this years ago!


I kept the pattern and quilting super simple and chose a pattern fabric for the back, so essentially it's reversible if I want switch it up from year to year. The binding is single thickness; I basically ironed a fold and hand-stitched the back down. I also ironed the fold on the ribbon at the neck where it wraps around the tree.  It was my first attempt at working with curves, so I was pretty happy with how it turned out.


















My tree deserved to get dressed up.  It's grown old with me; time for some sophistication! Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment