Friday, May 31, 2013

Where's the Plug?

I joined a Thangles BOM that was hosted at Bella's Quilt Works (LQS) to complete a civil war fabric quilt. My sister went with me and saw the batik option and loved it, so I agreed to complete the project for her.  I figured it was good practice, and I enjoyed doing it.


As I completed the blocks, we began discussing what size she wanted and what type of sashing she might want. It would be the biggest quilt I have quilted on my machine so far at queen size. It was also the brightest!  She went with me to pick out fabric for the sashing and she picked out very bright batiks with wild patterns.  I wasn't sure how it would look, but I thought, why not? It's supposed to be a scrappy quilt, right?


The blocks look a little funny in the sashing, but not too bad.  I like how it finished. It's totally my sister! We chose a pale yellow flannel for the back so it was a little warmer. As for the quilting, I used a template for the blocks and then did swirls and then a meander with flowers in the sashing.  For the border I quilted a meander and outlined the dragonflies on the fabric.


Nice weight, happy colors.  Turned out great! I called it "Where's the Plug" because when I first finished it, we were joking it was so bright it looked like it should be plugged in. Maybe I should make some bags with the leftovers; I'll never loose those ;)


As for the civil war fabric quilt I was making, well, I finished the top and the backing, but I made a king size and haven't been able to afford the quilting yet.  There's no way I can do that on my machine. So, some day I will get it completed, and what a finish that will be! It's so beautiful; I can't wait to see it on my bed.

I am linking up today with Crazy Mom Quilts! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment