Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Baby F's Blanket Wrap

My cousin in Washington was expecting her first child and I wanted to make something a little different   for her baby; something warmer. I found this pattern in a magazine, but for the life of me, I cannot remember which magazine.


It was super easy to make, though.  I just took two pieces of flannel and put batting in between. Basically, it's a whole-cloth quilt.  Instead of binding in a traditional fashion, I sandwich-sewed face-to-face with the batting on one side, leaving a small opening so I could flip it right side out. Finally, I stitched it shut and it was ready to quilt. I did a simple meander on the whole thing to complete the quilt.


The last step was to make it easy to wrap the baby in.  I folded one corner in about 4 inches, and sewed it together. Then, rather than cut it, I folded it flat and tacked it down.  That way, it could be turned into a flat blanket later on, but the bulge wouldn't bother the baby while they used it as a bundle.

This was a fun and easy project to make.  If it weren't so warm down here, I would make more of them for friends.  It was a challenge to find the flannel, but Quilters Market never disappoints. This was a fun little project!

No comments:

Post a Comment