Friday, April 19, 2013

Origami Night Vision

I FINALLY finished my Origami Quilt.  It feels like I have been working on this forever.  I am very happy with how it turned out, though, so it was totally worth it.  This was a pack of fabric that I purchased at our local annual quilt show from Pin Cushion Boutiques along with a couple of extra yards of matching fabric. I am weak for the pink and green combo, especially this time of year.  It feels so spring-ish!


With this 'Night Vision' block, I practiced my in-setting.  It went well and the blocks turned out nicely. I used just about every inch of the fat quarters I had, and also maxed out the striped fabric to make the borders, so there was very little waste and very few scraps (I am not so good with scraps, they just sit around). 




I wanted to practice some stencil quilting, so I put some of that on the blocks themselves.  Then I filled in with some FMQ, swirls and flowers, which I am NOT good at.  I love meander, but swirls are a struggle for some reason.  Finally, I added a chain of flowers around the quilt on the border and called it good. Above are a couple of pictures I tried to get of the quilting itself. 


Finally I used the same stripe fabric to complete the binding and washed it up to get the quilted crinkle look that I love. Phew, glad it's done and now we can enjoy it on the wall for a while. Eventually, I assume it will keep someone warm, but the 100's are just around the corner, so it will be a while.

I am linking up with Finish Friday on Crazy Mom Quilts.  Hope you enjoy, and have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely summequilt!
    We love it//Maja & Sanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt so much!! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling quilt. Cute colors, and fabrics. A unique version of the flying geese. Nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your colors and pattern! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your finish! I love the green and pink together!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete