Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Chicken Casserole

Okay, I admit it. I cook with canned soup sometimes.  I know, it's one of my dirty little secrets, but sometimes it's just easier.  It makes a quick meal that tastes good and can really stretch a buck. I don't have too many recipes that call for canned soup, but this is one of them. Talk about no brainer; 'throw it all in and heat'; last minute 'need to get the food on the table' type of meal.  
This was originally made with canned tuna, but my husband is not a fish fan, so I switched out the tuna for the chicken and it was a hit. I didn't think he would like it as much as he does, but good for me when I am in a hurry. It's also a kid-friendly meal.  It has noodles, shredded chicken, and peas, which are all easy to pick up and eat like finger foods. Finally, it re-heats pretty well, too.  Leftovers of this meal actually get eaten! That's a huge plus for me! Okay, I will stop justifying why this meal is worth it.  I have said my piece :P

Chicken Casserole

1Tbs butter
1 medium onion
2 c dry noodles, cooked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c milk
1 can chicken
1 jar diced pimentos
1 c frozen peas
1 c crushed potato chips (optional)



Cook the noodles according to the package instructions, drain and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.

Melt butter in pan and saute onions.  Once they are soft and translucent, add the soup and milk. Blend together, and add the chicken, pimentos, and peas. Finally, add the noodles and mix it all together. Pour into a 2 qt baking dish and crumble the potato chips on top.  Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through and slight browning has occurred on the chips.


I like to serve this meal with salad (makes it a little healthier looking?) or by itself. It also works well in individual ramekin dishes if you prefer that, or if your kiddos prefer having their own dish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment