Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Holiday Sugar Cookies

Every holiday, it doesn't matter which, invokes the desire for sugar cookies! They're quick, easy, make the house smell good, and there are smiles all around. Add a good frosting and maybe some decorative features and you can serve these bad boys at parties, cookie exchanges, or an afternoon snack at home.


The recipe I use the most actually comes from the Pilsbury Cook Book I have.  I have tried a lot of different recipes, and I like this one because it tastes real buttery and it makes more dough, which creates more cookies. More cookies = more yumminess.


Rolled Sugar Cookies

- 1 c sugar
- 1 c butter, softened
- 3 Tbs milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt

- frosting recipe of your choice


Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla, then the milk, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour and mix until all ingredients are incorporated and the dough is sticking together and not to the side of the bowl. Remove from mixer, cover, and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare your surface for rolling the dough out. Remove about 1/3 of the dough and roll it out on the floured surface. I like my cookies thick and soft so I roll out the dough to no less than 1/4-inch thickness. Play with this a little to determine what you prefer.

Use the cookie cutters of choice to cut out your shapes and place them on a cookie sheet about 1-inch apart. Continue rolling and cutting until all the dough has been used. Bake 5 - 9 minutes, depending on your oven and how crispy you like your cookies (we like them really soft so I bake for 6 - 7 minutes). Remove them from the cookies sheets and allow the cookies to cool before handling or frosting them.

In these pictures I was playing with neon food coloring, hence the wacky colors, and I was playing with some of my decorator kit bits. Not the prettiest and hopefully I'll get more pictures at the next holiday because you know I'll be making more sugar cookies! Until then, I am sure the kids will bring themselves to eat these delicious little treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment