Sunday, February 17, 2013

Simple Pancakes

For the longest time I thought items like pancakes, waffles, and biscuits were super challenging.  That's why there's box mixes, right? Several months ago, my son wanted pancakes and I had no mix so my husband found a pancake recipe in our cookbook, "America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook".  I was surprised how easy were to make, and now only make pancakes this way. I have modified a couple of things to make it a little easier, and make a smaller batch (I am not feeding an army).  Leftovers are okay, but I'd rather not.  Super easy, I'm telling you.

Ingredients:

- 1 cup unbleached, white flour
- 1 Tb sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tbs butter
- 1 cup buttermilk*





Instructions:
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside. In a small bowl, melt your butter. Mix the buttermilk and egg in a large measuring cup ( I use a 2-cup size). Pour the liquid mix into the flour mix, stirring with a whisk.  Add the butter while whisking and mix until incorporated! Have your skillet heated and ready and you will cook up about 8-10 average sized pancakes in a few minutes. We have added blueberries to them while cooking, and chocolate chips, and they are scrumptious! Enjoy!

*There's a few different ways to accomplish this ingredient, depending on what you have on hand. If I don't have buttermilk, which I usually don't, I will add 4 tablespoons of buttermilk powder to my dry ingredients and use 1 cup water instead of 1 cup milk in the measuring cup. This makes great pancake mix for camping or other travel (just add the liquids). Everything else is the same.
If I don't have buttermilk powder either, I will add 1 tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup milk and let it sit for a few minutes. Everything else is the same.
Experiment with what works for you.

Here's a Whole Wheat Pancake version.  Not any big change from the original, but I wanted to add the link in case you're interested (and so I have a reference to remind me of the options I have with this recipe). Hope you like them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment