Saturday, May 30, 2015

When There's Too Many to Count

I'm not sure how I got myself into this. I always promised myself I wouldn't have more than one project at a time. Always said I wouldn't be that girl with the stack of WIP's and UFO's begging for completion. How did I get here?

It all started with my quilting struggles. My machine and I are just not getting along, and as a result I have this quilt pinned and waiting. I do a little work on it here and there but it's slow and go.


To distract myself, and avoid having to quilt the big one, I started working on another project. I got all the way to the binding, but ran out of labels and needed to make new ones.


In the meantime, I thought it would be a good idea to start another top. Why not? I'll finish it up quickly because it's a baby quilt. But I had no backing fabric for it yet, so when I finished it I couldn't prepare it for quilting.


But I had all these scraps left from the baby quilt top. There's something about all those little triangles that call to me. I can't throw them away, but they can be so difficult to work with. I figured if it was going to happen, it needed to happen right away. So I put this little top together pretty quickly. It needs to be just a little bigger so I need to find a border fabric, and of course have no backing yet.


And then figured I'd keep going with the baby theme and whip together this alphabet quilt that's been sitting in my to-do pile for a while. I actually have backing read to go for this one, but I really wanted to finish the binding on the second project so I could get it off my table.


I figured it was time to return to the labels project. I printed the labels and pulled out the ribbon, but needed a dry iron to make them and my iron had water/steam in it.


It only seemed rational to use that steam rather than dump it to dry the iron. I decided to cut up some fabric for another quilt I want to start.


I suppose this is evidence that I've been getting things done. But it's slow and scattered now that school is out for summer. There have been times I've started a project and the kiddos need to distract themselves so I can finish up what I'm working on. It doesn't always work that smoothly though, and more often than not I'm abandoning my work to play with them and returning at night to put everything away.

That's okay. It will all get done someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Megan, Found this post as I came from the finished 'Dashing Roses' quilt - which looks just great. I can identify with your unfinished list as I recently decided to write down just what I had on the go. It turned out to be 12 quilts! So in the last month I have begun completing the quilting on several and will get to the piecing of others shortly. Already the list is 3 less and I feel much happier about my on going list! Well done to you too.

    ReplyDelete