Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Grandma's Sloppy Joes

Full disclosure, this recipe isn't technically my grandmothers. It's as close as I can get though. When we were cleaning out my grandmothers house to sell, she gave me all of her cookbooks. We all know that as we try things we find favorite books and get rid of those that aren't working for us. This book is particularly tattered on the corners and many of the pages have spills from years of use.

She has since passed away so I can't ask her, but I have a feeling these would be her favorite. They are wholesome, simple ingredients that come together in a wonderful savory-sweet combination. It comes from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, 1978 and there's very little I need to modify to fit todays tastes in my house.


I did use homemade rolls, but we've used store buns and kaiser rolls and they also taste great. I gave the bread a light toast before serving to help minimize any soggy action that might occur... if for some reason you don't inhale every morsel immediately upon its arrival at the table.


Grandma's Sloppy Joes

1 lb hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 celery stalks (about 1/2 c)
1/2 c ketchup
1/4 c water
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp red pepper sauce
1 tsp salt
5-6 hamburger buns


Melt 1 Tbsp butter in saute pan. Brown the onion and celery. Once softened (onions should be translucent) add the meat. Brown while incorporating the onion mix. Drain excess fat and add the rest of the ingredients (expect the rolls). Stir and allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, split and toast the buns. This tastes great with a garden salad and ranch dressing, but you enjoy them any way you'd like.


No comments:

Post a Comment