Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Really am Working

Yes, I really have been working on things and trying to get stuff done.  I am also trying to figure out our new schedule with everyone's different school programs and back-to-school craziness.  Hopefully I can get caught up on what's been going on.

A few weeks ago I pulled out some leftover fabric from my Goody Gumdrops quilt. I wanted to try making some strip-pieced triangles that, to me, looked like watermelon slices. I started putting them together and thought they'd make great placemats.


I just needed to get some background fabric, which I selected at Rosies during my annual visit. I admit, I wasn't so crazy about the brown when I selected it. I chose it because I thought it looked a bit like a burlap sack or a picnic table so I went with it. Now that I see it all together I love it and want more! Such a cool, clean, textured fabric. It would be amazing as an alternative to white in a quilt because it's so subtle.


It took me a bit to think about quilting on these little guys, too. I finally decided the brown looked a bit like wood planks on a picnic table and wanted to do something that looked like wood grains. I am really happy with how it's turning out so far. Unfortunately, I ran out of the beige color thread I was using.


Project on hold...until I get some more thread. Hopefully I can get back to work on these soon. I'm interested to see how they turn out. It seems I have more projects going at once than I've ever had before.


#1 watermelon placemats - need to finish the quilting

#2 flower garden quilt - needs quilting

#3 vintage modern stars quilt - needs sandwiching and quilting

#4 alaskan stars quilt - needs piecework still, many stars to go

#5 some secret projects - more to come on this



That's okay.  They will all get done...someday...maybe...for sure! I am linking up with WIP Wednesday on Freshly Pieced. Hopefully I will be able to report some finishes soon!

4 comments:

  1. I love how your watermelon place mats look. And isn't it amazing what a good neutral can do. I find myself drawn to them more, each time I go to the fabric store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the neutrals can be fun, and a great alternative to white. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts! Great to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. These placemats are going to be so cool looking - that quilting pattern is fantastic! I used a cream with a subtle tan print as a background on a Dresden quilt I made and I love it. I wish I had many more yards of it; it's so much better than a plain white! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree! White has it's place, but it's so fun to use subtle color in projects. Thanks so much for coming by and leaving a kind word.

      Delete