Monday, September 15, 2014

Double Chocolate Banana Bread

I'm all about healthy, especially when it's subtle and I can sneak it into the recipe. I am also all about chocolate; I mean, who isn't!? So when I saw this recipe it was love at first sight.


I have had this recipe for so long, I actually can't remember where I found it. I didn't adjust it too much, some decrease in the sugar amount and I list the nuts as optional because I have a need to increase the chocolate ratio in each bite so I add more chips instead. Because you can always use more chocolate, right? Right?


I've also tried this in a lot of different pans. These pictures were taken with my fave mini bread pan.  I can make a bunch of small loaves to keep in the freezer for those surprise visitor or gifting to someone suddenly, or of course if I get a chocolate attack. I've also made it in one large loaf pan and as muffins (my sons favorite, more portable so he can eat on the run).


This bread comes out moist; soft, and amazing texture! The crust has a wonderful slight crisp immediately after baking, and becomes a wonderful moist crust if it's kept for later.


 Either way, it's awesome. So easy to make, it just takes a couple of ripe bananas and you're set. Get ready for the most delicious, chocolate-y healthy bread you've had.


Chocolate Banana Bread

1/2 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c mashed bananas (~2 bananas)
1/4c milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1/4 c baking cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)
1 c chocolate chips


In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Once creamed, add eggs one at a time, mix until creamed and then add vanilla. In another bowl, combine mashed bananas with milk, set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Alternate scooping in the banana mix and the flour mix into the mixer while it's on; one scoop at a time. Mix only until incorporated and then add more.  Continue with this method until it's all been added. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chips and nuts by hand.
Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for about 60 minutes, or until a testing stick poked into the center of the loaf comes out clean. If you want to use the smaller pans, pour the batter into three greased mini loaf pans and bake for about 30 minutes, using a testing stick to see if it's done. Muffins are a little less time.
Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Place on wire rack to allow for a complete cool.
 Linking up with Hun...What's for Dinner and The Prairie Homestead. Come on by and find some great new recipes and some tips and tricks for everyday living.

No comments:

Post a Comment