Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Homemade Trail Mix

I am trying so very hard to improve my eating...again.  I feel like I've done this before; oh wait, I have. Kids have this magical ability to cause me to forget how to eat properly, even though I work so hard to make sure they are eating properly.  How does that work?!?

Many years ago I was able to loose a lot of weight and get to a comfortable size. I'd like to return to that but man, it feels a lot tougher this time around. Not sure why...What changed? I am on a mission. It's going to happen!

One of the things I know I did every week was go work my horse on Friday evenings (yes, date night with the horse; he loved every minute of it :P). It doesn't sound like much, but I ate trail mix on my way to the barn and then essentially exercised (if you've never worked a horse for an hour, I'm telling you it's a workout) and went home for the night. I lost a ton of weight and didn't even notice it was happening.


So, I realize the trail mix was not the magic bullet in this equation but I unfortunately do not have the horses anymore so I have to go with the trail mix. I used to buy this mix at Costco, but I decided to make my own so I could increase the ratio of good nuts (like almonds) and the less productive nuts (like peanuts). I also wanted more raisins in the mix and I wanted to reduce the salt content.  I wait for some good bulk sales and stock up on my fave's.


It's actually chopped full of good things.  Lots of proteins and good fats that your body needs to be productive with a lot less carbs.  There are still some carbs because, frankly, I still need a hook to get me into the mix. A little chocolate, a few raisins and you have a nicely balanced mix that will keep your taste buds happy while still consuming a food that will keep your body satisfied so you can get things done. Now, if I could just figure out how to get back into the workout I had going...baby steps, baby steps.


Homemade Trail Mix

2 c cashew nuts ( raw, salted or unsalted)
2 c almonds (raw, unsalted)
2 c peanuts (raw, salted or unsalted)
2 c raisins
12.6 oz plain m&m candies (about 2 cups)





Measure each of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.  Mix the ingredients well and store in a gallon-size ziploc bag. I have made larger mixes and divided them up and put them in the freezer to save. However if you do that, reserve your raisins and add them when you pull the mix out of the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment