Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Lunchtime Packaging

Now that my son has started eating lunch at school, I have found that I am flying thru disposable sandwich bags! I don't like it. Not only is it bad for the environment, but it's bad for my wallet. I am having to buy so many baggies to be used once. Not cool man!

I admit, when I was packing a lunch for myself, I would re-use the baggies again and again, but it's hard to explain that to a 5 year old. So, I decided to try making some lunch bags for him to use. I actually had a friend recommend this a while ago, and I've tried some different patterns, but I guess I needed to live it to know what they needed to be.

I'm still not so thrilled with these designs, but I'm getting closer. I have more ideas for tweaking, I just need to get the materials.

This first is a flip over sack; a traditional baggie style.


I like it, but I worry it's not a very good seal.


Will it keep food from drying out? Will it keep messes contained? I don't know, and I have some ideas as to how I want to modify this bad boy.

The second style has a base to sit upright on.


It can be handy to have your snack bag upright, but I don't know if it works for kids. They don't quite get the concept and spill things everywhere anyway.


This is a nice design, but I don't know if it will make the final cut for us. We'll see.

The other project I've been working on is my block of the month block. I am so in love with the colors for this project! Every month I wonder if they'll be as good as the last, and every month I love the new colors even more!


I don't know if I'm loosing energy or if the patterns are getting more challenging for what I'm trying to do with the flowers, but this one was another struggle. I literally had to cut the pieces out of the fabric so that I could maximize my fabric use, and then play around with them and see how it would all work. Probably not the best approach, but hey, it works for me!

I really wish I had more of the dark teal to make this look more like a flower and less like a bird...or a bunch of arrows pointing up. Oh well.  It's all good. I need to stick to the plan!

Those are just a couple of the projects I've been working on. Had to share. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is working on over at Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday. Come on by!

No comments:

Post a Comment