Monday, June 23, 2014

Honey Chicken Kabobs

I have been on a total kabob kick!  Whether it be steak kabobs, chicken kabobs, or veggie kabobs; it doesn't matter. They are all so wonderful! I made this particular recipe I found on my fave blog, Mel's Kitchen, and my husband couldn't get enough of it.  He asked if there were any leftovers and literally said he could have eaten everyone's serving! He liked it that much!


Well after that comment, what girl could resist trying to find ways to increase the batch for the hubby.  I thought I would try making it as a stir fry as it does have a bit of an oriental flavor, but it just didn't come out as well. There's something about marinating the meat and veggies for an hour or two for the flavors and tenderness to develop. This meat is juicy, soft, it has a wonderful grilled flavor to it, and of course it can be cooked outside, which means no heating up the kitchen.  Yeah! (Of course, I still end up giving directions for inside as that is where my griddle is for now. Outside is much hotter than my kitchen heated up, as scary as that is).


This recipe is a must for anyone interested in a clean protein, high fruit and veggie dish.  The flavor is just amazing, and I could hardly change much from what Mel did because it was just so amazing! Thanks Mel! If you haven't been to her blog before, you have to check it out! Amazing, simple, down to earth meals! I can't say enough good things about it.  Okay, I'm done. I am also linking up with Hun, What's for Dinner; come check out what everyone is cooking up. Here's the recipe you MUST try! Enjoy!


Honey Chicken Kabobs
1 lb chicken, cubed
1 green bell pepper, cut into large pieces
1 onion, cut into large pieces
2 c white button mushrooms
2 c pineapple chunks (fresh is best but canned works)
Marinade:
1/2 c lite soy sauce
1/2 c honey
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c olive oil

In a bowl, mix the marinade together. If you'd like, set a 1/4 c of the marinade aside for grilling. Also, if you want to marinade the meat and veggies separately, set aside half of the mix for veggies to be added later. Place the chicken in the marinade and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (it can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours if you are good at planning ahead).
When you're ready to start making your skewers, place the fruit and veggies into the marinade you set aside for them. Prepare your skewers. When making a skewer, place something on the end that will help with flavor and foundation. I use pepper or onion as it holds things together well. Alternate your chicken, fruits and veggies down the skewer until you reach the end. Make sure to leave yourself a couple of inches so you can pick it up while grilling, and make sure you end it with something that will hold things together like onion or pepper.
Grill at a medium heat for 7-10 minutes, making sure to turn them every couple of minutes.  There might be a little charring because of the sugars in the honey; no worries. I usually finish them in the broiler for a couple minutes just to make sure the chicken is cooked thru. Serve immediately with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment