Monday, February 24, 2014

Almost-to-the-Border Guacamole

Here's a little secret about me; I love dip! I mean, I really love dip! Any kind of dip; ranch, onion, spinach, artichoke, and of course, guacamole. They are all so wonderful, and they can be helpful when trying to get otherwise reluctant kids to eat some veggies.
I don't know why I haven't tried making my own guacamole before now. Like so many other recipes, I was afraid to try it because I thought it would be difficult; silly me. I have been buying fancy guac all this time, and finally thought maybe, just maybe, I can do this myself. Well, what do you know...
I actually didn't really look at recipes when making this. I thought about what I like in guac, and I like a little spice and kick. I also like guac that's not totally pureed, but is still creamy enough to be considered a dip. After some fine-tuning, I finally got it just right. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.




Almost-to-the-Border Guacamole


3 lg avocado’s (or 4 med)
¼ c fresh finely chopped cilantro
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like spicy)
¾ tsp garlic salt (more if desired)



Remove the flesh from the avocado skin and put them in a bowl, reserving 1/2 of one large avocado or 1 whole avocado for later. Mash them to your desired consistency (I prefer using a potato masher and doing it by hand so I have more control over consistency, but the hand-wand mixer works well, too, if you like a more pureed texture).  
Chop the reserved avocado and add it, the cilantro, and the lemon juice in and mix together. Add the seasonings, adjusting to your own personal preference.  Mix together and let ‘rest’ in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. For a thinner consistency, you can add water, or mash more. Also, you can add chopped tomato for some more color, and a little added health and taste benefit. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment