Monday, July 8, 2013

Homemade Jam, First Attempt

Well, there's been ups and downs.  I am not so happy with the results, but I am not discouraged.  I had to share my first attempt at making jam. I am determined to get this right and will try again. They sure look really pretty...



and yummy...


but I need to keep trying.  What a nail-biting experience! I felt like I needed to follow the directions to the letter.  If it said boil for 1 minute, I set the timer! When I pulled them out of the boiling water-bath after 15 minutes (I adjusted for altitude), I was on pins and needles waiting to hear the tell-tale "ping" sound letting me know I was successful at sealing the jars. Then the directions said to wait and let them set for 24 hours.  It's been 16 hours and they are still a bit runny in the jars. Not a good sign.  I have read that you can heat everything back up and re-can, but I am debating whether I want to do that, or just go with syrup and try a whole new batch.

I have been searching blogs for advice.  One blog, here, suggested I approach it like candy-making (something else I would like to attempt at some point) and monitor the temperature very closely.  I am going to try that next time.

Until then, I think I might need to try my hand at cheesecakes, or I can use this wonderful strawberry "sauce" for ice cream topping.  That's a great treat for the summer! Anyone have any tips you can throw my way? Tricks of the trade that you have picked up? I would love to hear 'em! I really want to figure out this whole jam-making thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment