Monday, June 17, 2013

Experimenting

I have been playing around with a couple of recipes; one on purpose and the other by accident.

First, the one I have been playing with on purpose has accidentally turned into something else. I am all about the chinese food.  I really want to learn a few dishes I can turn to when I am craving it so I am not spending a fortune at the restaurant. So, I found several recipes I am working through.  One of those recipes was Hawaiian Beef Teriyaki, which I found on this website. It turned out pretty good, but I need to work on my meat-cutting technique to get thinner slices. We had some leftovers and I was thinking, what if...

I re-heated the leftovers on the stove top and added a cornstarch/water mix to thicken the sauce. I put it on a roll with some cheese, and OH MY GOODNESS! If I didn't know better I would have thought I had gone to one of my fave restaurants here in town. I was so excited to have discovered this.  Now, I need to make it again and check my measurements and such so I can post about it.

The second was completely an accident. It has been soooo hot here that I have been looking for recipes that call for outdoor cooking (yeah, it's hot, but at least it doesn't heat up the kitchen, right?!?).  I had a piece of meat that needed to be used, so I decided we were going to try something we hadn't tried in a long, long time. I made kebabs.

I checked my fave cooking website, and then looked through a couple of my trusty cookbooks and decided to try this one. Honestly, I ended up liking Mel's a lot.  It was simple, tasty, juicy, and fast.  Perfect combination.  That doesn't mean I won't go back now and try some of the others. I really liked the kebab cooking.  Minimal mess and, like I said, it doesn't heat the house up.

Sorry no pics today, it's been a little crazy around here.  Hopefully I can get some pictures of these dishes, and some others, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment