Thursday, September 29, 2016

Chicken Teriyaki Kababs

I stumbled on a teriyaki recipe while looking for crockpot recipes. It was a total winner-winner and has landed a spot in my recipe line-up.  A couple weeks ago I really wanted to have marinated teriyaki chicken on the grill, but I’m not a fan of the bottled stuff my hubby likes. I wondered if the teriyaki recipe would work for this as well as it works in the crockpot recipe.

Man alive, this stuff rocks! It is so versatile. I mixed it together and let it cool and then put the chicken breasts in it for a while. It tasted great and I had enough to set some aside as a dipping sauce with dinner.


Last week I decided to try it on some chicken kebabs. Same approach…I made it up, set some aside and marinated the chicken pieces and green pepper pieces in it for a bit. It tasted fantastic! Even the kiddos were cheering to see this combination. After perfecting the recipe a bit, I think we’ve got it to a point that we prefer this over the bottle variety, yeah!

In this post I’m specifically writing about the kebabs, but I hope to have a post about the sauce on its own. It deserves its own post, that’s how good it is. Until then, here’s what I did for this meal.

Chicken Teriyaki Kebabs

1 lb chicken, cubed
1 green pepper, chopped in large pieces
1 medium onion, chopped in large pieces
1 c pineapple chunks
1 ½ c water
3 Tbs cornstarch
½ c brown sugar
¼ c honey
½ c lite soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp canola oil

In a saucepan, heat up the water and the cornstarch. Once it begins to thicken, add the brown sugar, honey, lite soy sauce, garlic, and canola oil. Bring to a simmer and let it simmer 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool while you prep the meat and veggies.

Place the peppers and onions in a bowl and pour ½ c of the cooled sauce over them. Place the chicken in another bowl and pour 1 – 1 ½ c of the sauce over it. Place them in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Set the last of the sauce aside to serve with dinner.

Assemble the kebabs in a manner you are comfortable with. I usually like to mix the veggies, pineapple, and chicken on each kebab. My husband prefers I keep it all chicken with veggies separate. The nice thing about kebabs is that I can easily do this.


Heat a grill to a medium heat and cook as you normally would, making sure all sides are cooked and there’s no pink left in the chicken. Serve with rice and the sauce that was set aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment