Friday, September 23, 2016

Kefir Smoothies for One

I have started to make morning smoothies.  Part of this is an attempt to be healthier and get more fruits and veggies into my day. This is also a result of the crazy mornings we have. I have not been able to find a way to include a healthy breakfast for myself in the midst of the chaos.

I started researching smoothies but after a few failed attempts with yogurt-based smoothies I was discouraged. They were too thick for my little single-serve blender and I didn’t want to pull out the big boy blender because I’m the only one drinking them.  I also wanted a drink, not a yogurt with a bunch of stuff added to it.

I recently had a friend start pinning a bunch of smoothie recipes, and that led to a conversation about kombucha, something else I am trying to wrap my head around.  While looking into that, kefir popped up. I was curious…

After hitting up a few of my fave natural stores I found a couple to try. I instantly fell in love! It’s creamy and smooth. The flavor has a bit of a bite, because of all the good bacteria, but it still tastes more subtle than traditional yogurt. Did I mention all the good bacteria? 12 different strains to help with the immune system, digestive system, etc.

It also can be combined with so many things to help enhance the flavor and health value even more. It has been a lot of fun to play with. Each time I try something new I wonder if it will taste as good as the last and I am always pleasantly surprised to find it’s even better!

The possibilities are endless. Whatever you and your taste buds can dream up. Because I’ve only just begun, these are some pretty basic mixes that got me started. I searched for more ideas but have struggled to find the single-serve so I’m going at it blind. Any ideas or suggestions are truly appreciated. 



Straight-Up Strawberry
1 c kefir
1 c strawberries, chopped
1 Tbs agave nectar
*Really, this could be any straight-up berry. Swap out and enjoy








Mix-to-Match
1 c kefir milk
1/3 c strawberry, chopped
1/3 c blueberries
1/3 c raspberries
1 Tbs agave nectar

*or if there’s another berry you want to throw in there because berries rock




One thing you will notice about my mixes is that they use very little frozen ingredients. I like it more liquid and find fresh ingredients taste better and mix better. That said, I do use some frozen fruits and they’re great!

Also, I have not yet started adding grains such as flax seed or chia. I am curious how they might taste, but I’m not there yet. Soon! Soon!

Until then, these are some recipes I have already started to enjoy. I hope you enjoy them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment