Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hand Stitching the Binding. Why?

For years many of my fellow quilters have been trying to get me to try hand-binding a quilt.  I admit, it looks really nice to have a clean, invisible finish to a quilt, but man is it time-consuming.  And let's face it, with kiddos at home you just don't have much time.  My priority has always been elsewhere.

Then I started working on my latest seashell quilt.  I am really trying to use up the fabric I have (the top is made completely from leftovers from a previous quilt) and I only had enough fabric left in the blue to make a 2 1/4 inch binding. Pretty small.  So, to maximize my fabric's capabilities, I decided it was time to try this hand-binding thing.


First, I need to get the cat off the quilt.  He was holding it hostage until I handed out the good treats. :)  Once I got the cat off, I pulled out my needle, thread, and scissors and got to work. That first night I learned the value of a thimble.  My finger was literally bloody from working the needle, and I only got one side done in 2 hours! This was going to take a while.


The next day I bought a thimble and was back to work.  I am getting faster and managed to finished the second side in half the time (of course it was half the length, but I am sure that's not related, right?!?).  The third night I almost finished the third side, and now I am super close to being done.  What usually takes me an hour or so has taken a few days.  I have to admit, though, it looks super awesome and professional.  I still need to work on my stitches, but this has me interested in applique work (something else I have been dreading) and I am feeling better about giving that a shot next.  When I find the time. ;)

Linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday. I am really hoping to have a finish to report by the end of the week.  We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. That's a really beautiful quilt. Makes me want to spread it out under a (very large) beach umbrella and take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, that sounds wonderful! I'm in. :) Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a note!

      Delete