Sunday, January 13, 2019

Leftover Cranberry Sauce Mini Muffins

I found this amazing cranberry chutney recipe that is absolutely irresistible! I've made it for a few different holidays now and it's been a huge success. I discovered it when I decided I was tired of the basic cranberry sauce out of a can. It was an afterthought at thanksgiving dinner, and no one ever touched it. I started wondering if there was a way to perk it up and make it a side dish that people craved. 

After some research and experimenting with various recipes and modifications, I discovered I like a savory touch to my cranberry sauce, or chutney. Naturally, the next step was to turn the leftover chutney into muffins. Right?!?


I L.O.V.E. mini muffins! They are such a perfect breakfast, a perfect little snack. They freeze wonderfully and are fresh when I'm ready to eat them. 

This recipe is not really the healthiest, but I did swap in greek yogurt which has a great flavor and tried to limit the sugar. And they are quick to make, which is always appreciated in my time-crunch life.

When I make these, I typically use my Cranberry Chutney (recipe to come soon). The recipe that I use has savory notes from onion and celery. While I enjoy that, I realize others might not. Any cranberry sauce would work.


My point here; it doesn't have to be leftover cranberry sauce. You can use heated cranberries, or a combination of heated cranberries and dried cranberries; whatever will work and/or clean out your pantry. One time, I had only half the amount I needed so I heated up the sauce and added some more cranberries to it and it worked perfectly! Love that kind of versatility.

Leftover Cranberry Sauce Mini Muffins     


1/2 c butter (1 stick), softened
1 c sugar
3 eggs, room temp is nice but not necessary
1 c plain greek yogurt
2t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2t vanilla
3 cups flour
2 c cranberry sauce


Preheat oven to 375. Grease or paper-line mini muffin pans. 

In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, making sure one is blended in before adding the next. Add the greek yogurt (sour cream can be substituted).  

Next, add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Cream together,  then add flour, one scoop at a time for blending.  Remove from the mixer and add the cranberry sauce. Fold it in with a spatula. Scoop the batter into the muffin pans, making it level with the pan.  Makes 36-48 mini muffins. Bake for 12-15 minutes. 

These are great right away, or save them in the freezer for quick snacks or breakfasts. 

Recipe adapted from the blog RunDMT

No comments:

Post a Comment