Monday, January 30, 2017

Chocolate Yogurt Banana Mini Muffins

The name of these is totally a mouthful, but you will want every morsel in your mouth when you taste these little beauties! They are amazing! Rich chocolate yumminess combined with healthy greek yogurt and bananas. A match made in healthy/tasty breakfast heaven.


I have been on a mini muffin kick for about a year now. They are super convenient with kiddos. I can warm them quickly from the freezer without the volcanic heat risk that usually comes with heating things in the microwave. I can also use up my leftover bananas, which is always a plus (waste not, want not) and save the muffins in the freezer for our crazy-busy school mornings. Who can say no to a few mini muffins with some scrambled eggs?

I originally found this recipe on pinterest. It said in the notes that greek yogurt could be used, but they used sour cream. Still an option if you're interested, but I like the flavor and texture of the greek yogurt for these. I also switched out the butter for oil. I feel like it makes softer, fluffier muffins. I haven't yet gotten on the coconut oil bandwagon so I don't know if that would work. I stick to canola oil for these types of recipes.


After a few other adjustments, I found the perfect balance of chocolate, banana, and yogurt to make an amazing mini muffin that's great for a busy morning, on-the-go breakfast, or even part of a bag lunch for school.

Chocolate Yogurt Banana Mini Muffins

2 medium banana’s (about 1 c)
½ c greek yogurt
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla
½ c canola oil
2 c flour
½ c sugar
1/3 c cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ c mini chocolate chips

In a bowl, blend together the bananas, egg, oil, vanilla, and yogurt. In a mixer, blend the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
With the mixer on, slowly add the wet ingredients into the mixer. Stop when combined. Remove and add mini chocolate chips. Gently fold them in and scoop the batter into greased (or paper-lined) mini muffin pan. Fill each muffin level to the top.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, depending on your oven. Allow them to cool for a few minutes and then remove from the pans to cool completely. Enjoy, or freeze them to enjoy later.

No comments:

Post a Comment