Friday, October 2, 2015

Add Another to the List

Many years ago, I made a quilt for a friend who was expecting her first. It was a kit I purchased from my fave LQS and the fabrics were just to-die-for. They are bright and fun with small tone-on-tone prints, which are totally my favorite. After I finished the quilt, I still had scraps and set them aside for another project.

Fast-forward about 10 years and I finally found a project for these scraps. I just couldn't let them go into the color bins, I had to keep them together. While sifting thru my scrap bin, these came out. Stars popped into my head and suddenly I knew what I wanted to do with this fabric.

I found some white background fabric that has stars...perfect. I was so excited to get cutting.


Even though this is the second quilt I'm making with these fabrics, it still makes me sad to throw away even the smallest scrap. Aren't they so pretty?


I had to do a lot of math fudging to figure out the blocks, but I am really happy with the end result. I finished the large stars (don't be fooled, they only measure 6 1/2" square) and still had scraps, so I decided to make some smaller ones to mix it up a bit (they measure 4 1/2" square).


So silly, but I still had a few pieces left that weren't enough to make anymore stars, so I made some snowballs that range from 2" to 2 1/2" square. Those were interesting to do the math for. They're going to be my glitter orbs floating around with the stars.

Man I wish I could lay these out and see what it's going to look like, but it has gotten a little too late, and dark to keep going. I need to lay them out on a white background to really be able to see how it's going to work. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some time. I'm so excited to see this one finished!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome that you are using the scraps up even now. I must guiltily admit that after a few years I give away or toss scraps I haven't used - I just can't deal with the clutter. So bully for you. and those tiny stars look quite adorable.

    ReplyDelete