Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Trying Patterns

I have really been working hard to put together my Etsy shop and try to be successful with it.  It's going well, and I am feeling good about it all. I had some feedback, or rather a request, from an admirer who asked if I had patterns for any of my creations.  It was a neat idea considering I don't really like patterns and tend to make everything up in my head anyway. Such a dork. :P

So, in an attempt to make a pattern of the oversized bag I made, I re-created it and wrote down what I did so I could make a pattern with the information.


Here's how the bag turned out.  It's not quite like my Honey Honey Bag because instead of piecing the bag together and quilting it myself, I used pre-quilted fabric.


I've never used pre-quilted fabric before, and I have to say, I'm not such a fan.  There are some nice pieces and maybe if I practiced a bit more with it I would come around. However, I think I want to stick to piecing and quilting myself.  I have so much more control.


One thing I do really like is how many pockets it has. It has two pockets on the outside and six more inside. It also has a couple of small pockets that are perfect for pens. I made this same bag in a smaller version for my sister here.


This would be the perfect bag for a quilter or scrapbooker. It's deep and wide with lots of pockets for things, and instead of putting a zipper on top, I put a button. It helps keep the bag closed while still having things stick thru the top (like, say a quilters ruler; nice!).

This was a fun project. Now, I am going to test the pattern I wrote and see if it works or not. I think this will be a fun experiment. I'm going to link up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday, and hopefully my pattern attempt will become a Finish soon.

7 comments:

  1. I like it! I like pre-quilted fabric only for making baby sleep sacks. Otherwise I like to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am intrigued with the idea of a baby sleep sack with the pre-quilted fabric. Interesting idea. Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. This is such a cute bag! That fabric is perfect. Love the button idea. Those pockets would be great for most everything. Here from NTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  3. LOoks like one I could use! I was making totes, but stopped but I think I'll pick it up again! Thanks for the inspiration. I particularly like the pockets on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're feeling inspired! That's awesome! I LOVE pockets everywhere; absolute necessity. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  4. your bag is really cute. I've never used pre-quilted fabric myself, but the prints are really fun!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete