Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Generous Friend, Delicious Results

Many years ago, more than I'd like to count, I started a new job in my hometown. I had returned after a short two year stint teaching at the next city over, to marry. In the meetings that begin every new school year, I met a wonderful person who was also new to the school. We have had a strong friendship ever since. She's been a great resource for everything from grading, writing emails, raising children, and finding and attending local activities. She's also been helpful as I learn more about canning.

I tell you all this because my most recent canning endeavor was a bittersweet one. She and her family decided it was time to move on to their next adventure and head north. Way north! I'm not going to lie, I always dream of moving to cooler weather with pine trees and snow and running water in creeks and rivers. Then again, it is nice to jog in a tank top in December.

During her preparation to move, she discovered she had a bunch of frozen mixed berries and hated the thought of throwing them away. I couldn't resist! These are homegrown at her in-laws place. They are as fresh as fresh gets!


The mix includes marionberries, blueberries, and raspberries (I think). It's a beautiful dark red color with a rich flavor. Not too sweet, not too tart. I skimmed off some of the seeds before canning, however there are still a lot of seeds in there. If I had it to do again, I'd probably try to remove more of them (maybe I'll have to visit her and get some more).

My son and I have already tried some and it is amazing!  Thank you thank you to my amazing friend who left me with one last fantastic gift before she left. Not to sound too permanent, I'll have to pack up the kids and go visit. I'm sure we will all have a blast seeing rivers with water in them year-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment