As I’m getting older, I am finding I enjoy more bold flavors. I like to taste the contrast of the acid with the savory in one bite. I also like meals I can cook on the grill outside, or at least on the indoor griddle quickly so I won’t heat the kitchen up too much.
In an effort to hit those two desires, I started searching for kabobs. This particular recipe stemmed from a desire to try making flatbread. I mean, who doesn’t like a good adventure in the kitchen?
The lemon and olive oil work together to tenderize the chicken. It makes the chicken soft and juicy. Don’t skip the marinating step. It’ll be well worth your time. Also, don’t skip the tzatziki sauce. It’s so good, and so good for you. With Greek yogurt and English cucumber combined with a little fresh lemon and garlic, you will want to get pita chips to eat this. It’s that good!
When it comes to the veggies you can really pick what you like. One of the benefits of kabobs is the freedom to combine what you’d like and let others combine what they’d like.
Don’t be afraid to make extra too. This meal re-heats really well, and can be a wonderful lunch. Cold or warmed, the chicken continues to be juicy and delightful. Combine it with a green salad or a pasta salad for a change of meal without more work. That’s always the ultimate goal.
Greek Chicken Kabobs with Veggies and Tzatziki Sauce
Chicken:
¼ c EVOO
3 Tbs (1-2) fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs each dried oregano, ground cumin
1 tsp each paprika, salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
1 c cherub or grape tomatoes
1 c mushrooms, cleaned and halved
1 c zucchini, sliced into thick slices (¼ to ½ inch)
Tzatziki Sauce:
1 c Plain Greek yogurt
½ c English cucumber, shredded
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
½ tsp red wine vinegar
¼ tsp salt
Pinch of black pepper
1 ½ tsp (1/2 of one) fresh lemon juice
Add all the ingredients except the chicken to a bowl and mix together. Then add the chicken and mix it to completely coat the chicken. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. If you have time, allow it to marinate for up to 8 hours to enhance the flavors.
While those are marinating, make the tzatziki sauce. Mix all the ingredients together, cover, and place in the refrigerator to chill. It will taste best if it’s had a couple of hours to rest.
Heat the grill or griddle to medium-hi heat. Meanwhile, thread all the chicken onto the grilling skewers. I prefer metal as it helps ensure the inside of the chicken gets cooked through. Once all the chicken is threaded, add the veggies to the marinade and toss before threading them onto skewers. I like them on separate skewers as they cook at different speeds than the chicken.
Once the grill is ready, add the skewers. Leave them alone for a few minutes in order to get those nice grill marks. After a few minutes, flip them over and let the other side get grill marks. After a few minutes, flip them a quarter turn to get the third side, and finally after a few minutes flip them once more to get the last side. At this point, check the chicken to see if it needs a few more minutes or if its ready. The veggies will finish at a different pace so monitor those as well.
Serve with some flatbread or a delicious Greek salad.
No comments:
Post a Comment