Sunday, May 1, 2022

Stout Irish Style Beef Stew

 

I know I’ve posted about stew before, but this one needed its recognition. My other beef stew is much more classic style with classic flavors. This one is so much more bold and rich, and you will fall in love with one bite.

 

 

It all started when I was on the hunt for some Irish meals to have on St. Patrick’s Day. None of us are big fans of corned beef and cabbage, and I wanted to try something in our wheelhouse that had a twist. 

 

 

While searching through recipes, I came across this little gem. I was a little skeptical at first, but when I read through the ingredients, I knew it would be something special. I already had a recipe that’s similar but uses a pilsner for flavor. The idea of using a stout sounded amazing!

 

 

For this recipe, I added basic vegetables but decided to keep the potatoes separate as a mash. It’s amazing with the gravy of the stew, and really adds a nice texture to the meal. Play with it though, and make it your way.

 

 

 

Rich and Stout Beef Stew

 

2 Tbs EVOO, divided

1 lb stew meat, cut into 1” cubes

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 onion, diced

1 leek, cut in half lengthwise and then thinly sliced

2 carrots, peeled and diced

1 c beef broth

1 c dark stout beer (I used oatmeal stout)

2 Tbs freshly chopped parsley

½ tsp thyme

1 bay leaf

2 Tbs butter

2 Tbs flour

½ c frozen peas

 

In a large enameled cast iron dish (I love my Le Creuset), heat 1 Tbs oil just until it’s smoking.  Season the meat with salt and pepper.  Add the meat to the dish and brown it on all sides, about 3-5 on each side. Pull it out of the dish and set aside.

 

Add one more Tbs of oil and brown the onion for a few minutes. Then add the leeks and carrots for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally add the garlic and allow to cook for just a minute, stirring occasionally.

 

Now add the beef broth, beer, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and beef to the vegetables.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring the stew to a boil and then cover it with a lid and drop it down to a simmer. Allow it to cook for about 1 ½ hours.

 

Once it has been allowed to cook, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Add the mixture to the dish and stir it in as it thickens, just a couple minutes. Finally, stir in the frozen peas and allow them to heat through; just a couple minutes. Serve with your side or mashed potatoes, or whatever you’d like to enjoy with your stew. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment