Friday, April 23, 2021

Quarantine UFO Series #14, Watermelon Quilt

Long ago in 2012, I made a GumDrops quilt using a fabric line called Swanky by Chez Moi. It was such vibrant colors with swirls and curves. I bought a large cut for the backing and when finished, I had a lot left.

 

I couldn’t figure out how to color classify it for scraps and decided it really needed to be its own project. My mom had this really neat striped green fabric that reminded me of watermelon rind.

 

An idea was born! I made placemats with it and was so happy with how they turned out that I kept going an made a bunch more watermelon slices. My thought was to make a table runner to match the placemats.

 

 And that’s where it stopped. I had run out of the tan linen fabric and was distracted by other projects. Next thing I know it’s been 8 years and the watermelon slices were in the bottom of a bin.

I pulled them out and ordered some more linen fabric from Hancocks. I decided to make a quilt top rather than a table runner and place them in a pinwheel pattern. I was happy with the idea until I got everything put together and noticed the new fabric was a much lighter color than the original (no surprise considering how much time had passed).

I pieced leftover fabric together for the backing and used a woodgrain style quilting on the tan part. 

 

Kind of like a wooden picnic table. I think the quilting made all the difference in the world! It added texture and took away from the color changes in the fabric.

 

The watermelon slices needed something too so I decided to make teardrops that look like oversized watermelon seeds.

 

I finished it off with a coral-pink binding and now have another amazing UFO finish! 

 

I’m actually getting to the bottom of my UFO pile and have been shifting to my “Ideas” pile, aka the techniques and patterns I’ve always wanted to try but haven’t gotten around to it.

Fortunately, I still have a lot of fabric to work with… so that shouldn’t be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment