Monday, April 12, 2021

Scrappy Red Valentine Blocks Quilt

Back in February I was on a scrappy kick. I was trying to weed through all my scraps and get some order among them. I started with the pink… and ended up making the pink scrappy hearts quilt. It was my first attempt at a scrappy project without the guidance of a fabric pack, and I was super happy with the results.

 

 

While pulling fabric for the scrappy hearts, I debated whether I wanted to include some of the red valentines fabrics that I had in my stash and scrap piles. I didn’t like mixing it together though (baby steps into the scrappy world), so I set them aside with the intention of making another scrappy quilt with reds.

 

 

I knew I didn’t want to make another hearts pattern, but I wanted to display the heart fabrics. I had so many of them too, so I was confident I could a true scrappy look.\

 

 

I started by cutting everything to 2 ½ inch squares. Then, I divided them into “light” reds and “dark” reds. Finally, I started pairing them up and making 2-block pieces. Before I got through all of them, I really started brainstorming what pattern I wanted to use and remembered seeing the reverse blocks with a center point. I had this super fun white fabric with hearts on it and thought it would be perfect in the center of the red fabrics.

 

 

Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough of that fabric to do all the light blocks so I decided to just use some Kona Snow. It matches nicely and really pulls the blocks together nicely.

 

 

Once I had all the blocks together for the quilt top, it felt like it still needed something to tie it all together. I went shopping in my mom’s stash and she had a mottled red fabric that matched one I used in the blocks. Perfect! I put a border on and was super happy with the end result.

 

 

Now, for some reason I had a huge piece of this red striped fabric. I decided it would work great for the backing. Saved me a trip to the store, and I was able to pull out of my stash! Bonus! I had to piece it together a little, but it worked nicely.

 

 

I just did a basic meander for the quilting and added a heart here and there. The thread is a variegated black-to-red Guterman all cotton thread. I used the same mottled red fabric for the binding and this beauty was done.

 

 

Another scrappy project that turned out really nice. Once again, I managed to finish this valentines quilt a few days after valentines day. Oh well, I have it ready now for next year. I can’t wait to display both of my new valentines quilts next winter.

 

 

I’m hoping to get a jump on some patriotic quilts for this summer. Fingers crossed that I can get them done before the end of June for display.

No comments:

Post a Comment