Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Sailboat Orphan Block Taggie Blanket

In between projects, I was searching for other UFO’s that needed attention. In the deep depths of my scrap bin, I found a Ziploc bag with orphan blocks inside. Most of the them were leftovers from baby quilts I’ve made over the years and I wasn’t sure what these could be used for.

 

 

I continued to sift through the same bin and found leftover minky fabric. Again, this was purchased to make blankets for baby gifts, but I just don’t have babies in my life right now. 

 

 

As I laid these pieces out, I started brainstorming and remembered something my sister said. She had #2 last year and instead of making a quilt this time, I made a couple of fabric books and a taggy blanket. The baby is IN LOVE with the taggy blanket in particular and carries it everywhere. Warmed my heart, and made me realize I could use these scraps and blocks to make taggy blankets.

 

 

I still had a little leftover fabric from the twin baby blankets I just finished, and it matched great with this orphan block. I found some leftover raindrop fabric in my yellow scrappy pile so I pulled that out and bordered the sailboat block.

 

 

I decided to try my skill at mitered corners since the lines in the second border fabric create a nice frame around the sailboat block. I’m really happy with how nicely it came out. The block lays flat and even.

 

 

I had a light blue minky fabric that worked perfectly with this project. It’s so soft!! After attaching the ribbons, I simply sewed the front and back together and then did a quarter-inch stitch around as a “binding”. I tried hard to use ribbons of all colors that matched so it was more of a unisex blankie. Now I’m ready in case someone has a surprise. Yeah!


No comments:

Post a Comment