Monday, March 1, 2021

Twin Baby Scrappy Quilts

I have been on a mission this year to work through scraps and clean some things out. I found it to be back-breaking work; literally and figuratively. As I sifted through the bags of stuff, I discovered I had A LOT of scraps from baby quilts I’ve made over the years.

 

 

Now, the truth is, I am past that part of my life that baby quilts will be made. And quite frankly, there are so many amazing fabrics that come out each year that I’d probably want to get something new anyway. But what to do with all these scraps…

 

 

I decided to try a scrappy quilt experiment with it all.  I cut them into 2 ½ inch squares and divided them into “darks” and “lights”. These color divisions were relative because they are all pretty light being baby fabrics and all.

 

 

After pairing them up, and then pairing again, I eventually ended up with 16-patch quilt blocks. I was surprised how many I ended up with and felt like that many blocks were going to make too big a baby quilt. So, why not make two?

 

 

I used white sashing between the blocks and a simple white border all around. For the backing, I found a Winnie-the-pooh fabric in my stash and it seemed perfect for the colors and theme of these two quilts. 

 

 

 

A basic meander all over was a good fit for these guys, and then I found a yellow fabric with bubbles on it and it worked perfect for the binding. 

 

 

It felt strange doing two quilts exactly the same, but it was a lot of fun practicing how to make scrappy blocks. I haven’t had much experience with scraps so this ended up being a perfect project! And a perfect stash buster! Woohoo!

 

 

Now, I still have no plans for them. I have contemplated re-establishing my Etsy shop, but I’m not sure if I’m ready for that. I am also thinking about donating them to a local non-profit or hospital or something. For now, I will keep them safe with the others. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment