Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Traditional Beef Stroganoff

I absolutely love stroganoff, in all its wonderful forms! Sliced beef, ground beef, chicken, casserole, you name it! I don’t even mind using canned soup for the sauce, and just thought that’s how it was supposed to be.

 

And one day, in this wonderful covid lockdown time, I was searching pinterest for “things”. I didn’t really know what, but I figured it was a good time to try some new meals since we had the time and needed to eat anyway.

 

I had a bunch of sirloin steak and was searching possibilities beyond just a steak. I stumbled upon this intriguing stroganoff recipe. It was described as traditional Russian stroganoff and sounded like the kind of challenge I needed.

 

In making this recipe, I discovered there is an amazing and flavorful world beyond a can of soup! And it’s not even difficult to make! What?!? This was like the day I discovered how easy biscuits were to make from scratch, or French bread. The family was head over heels for it, and I knew this was a recipe that would become a permanent part of the menu rotation.

 

The one thing I discovered in my experimenting is that it is critical you use sirloin. It’s totally worth the little extra expense! It cooks so much better than a stew meat, with a more even browning and a softer texture. You will not be disappointed that you used the sirloin, I promise.

 

Noodles with this dish are totally up to you. I like a thicker, heartier noodle, but it also pairs well with an egg noodle. Do some experimenting yourself, and enjoy an amazing classic!

 

 The one thing I discovered in my experimenting is that it is critical you use sirloin. It’s totally worth the little extra expense! It cooks so much better than a stew meat, with a more even browning and a softer texture. You will not be disappointed that you used the sirloin, I promise.

Noodles with this dish are totally up to you. I like a thicker, heartier noodle, but it also pairs well with an egg noodle. Do some experimenting yourself, and enjoy an amazing classic!

 

Traditional Beef Stroganoff

 

2 Tbs butter, divided

8 oz mushrooms, sliced

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 lb sirloin steak, sliced thin against the grain

2 Tbs flour

1 c beef broth

1/2 c dry white wine

½ tsp ground mustard

2 c noodles, cooked

½ c sour cream

Salt and pepper to taste

 

 

In a sauté pan, melt 1 Tbs butter and brown the onions for a couple minutes. Add the rest of the butter, and when melted add the mushrooms. Allow them to soften for a couple minutes. Place the sliced beef in a bowl and coat it with the flour. Push the onions and mushrooms to the side of the pan and add the meat. Let it sear for a minute before stirring to brown. Don’t worry if little bits get stuck on the pan, the broth will help that.

 

Once the beef is browned, but not cooked all the way through, add the broth and ground mustard. Stir to pull up any of the bits that stuck to the pan and then add the wine. Let the broth and wine simmer for about 10-15 minutes to allow it to reduce and build the flavor. Finally add the sour cream to the pan and stir to mix and blend together. Make sure all of the sour cream is incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with noodles and other sides you might like. 

 

This recipe was modified from the recipe found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment