Friday, December 4, 2020

Quarantine UFO Series #11, Minty Christmas Table Runner

When I first acquired this fabric, I thought I had a pattern I was interested in that included dangling Christmas bulbs. When I finally pulled the fabric out to work on it, I couldn’t find the pattern I thought I had. So… I came up with something else. I am super happy with how it turned out and glad I found this alternative.

But, what to do with the leftovers? I decided to fashion my own hanging bulbs pattern for a table runner. I looked into pinterest a bit but was disappointed there wasn’t really any good ideas in there. I decided I was on my own and got to work.

 

I started with adding some interest to the bulb by putting stripes across them in coordinating fabric. Then, I used the snowball pattern to make them into bulbs. Finally, I added a brown square at the top to help them look like they had a glass top for hanging. 

 

 

Now that the blocks were done, I laid them out on the table to see how I’d like to have them hang. I settled on the staggered pattern and filled the background in with the matching white fabric. The final step was to add a border and get the backing pieced together. I used the last of the fabric leftovers and now it was ready to quilt.

 

 

I did a basic meander on the white and the staggered straight stitch around the border. I added the label and binding and looked back at my finished product. But it was missing something…

 

 

The ribbon holding them up to create the dangling look!!

 

 

I found some simple dark brown ribbon and used a zigzag stitch to attach it to the quilt. I’ve never added “embellishments” to a quilt before, but this one just called for it. And I’m so glad I did!! I love the final product and how it came together.

 

 

On a side note, after finishing this project, I was cleaning my sewing cabinet and found the original pattern I’d intended on doing. I still really like it so I’m keeping it for another project in the future. Until then, I’m just glad I’ve completed another project with my stash.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the subtle, muted colors—not what most Christmas decorations display. This would work beautifully in anyone’s home regardless of colors of furniture and existing artwork. This quilt and table runner feel so calming. :-)

    ReplyDelete