Thursday, November 26, 2020

Quarantine Series #10, Minty Christmas Quilt

 

Minty Christmas Quilt

 

Back in 2010, I had just had my first baby and was confident that I could return to work, care for a newborn and continue my quilting interests. Ha Ha! I was introduced to a Connecting Threads catalog and while thumbing through to get pattern ideas, I discovered this amazing fabric line for Christmas that was not traditional colors. 

 

 

I was in love! I ordered a yard cut in 7 different fabrics. I had a pattern picked out and was ready to go. Once the fabric arrived, I was in the thick of teaching and balancing work with a newborn. The fabric was placed in a bin and lost in the back of the closet for so many years. 

 

 

Every time I saw the fabric in the bin, I remembered what I wanted to do with it and wished I could get back to it. But time passed, and I lost the original plan I had and I wasn’t sure what to do with it.

 

 

As we now get closer to Christmas, I decided I wanted to try and catch up on some of the holiday projects I have wanted to do. This was definitely on the list. I found another pattern in an old Connecting Threads catalog that I’d liked, and discovered the fabrics I had would work perfectly for the balance and style of the pattern.

 

 

I came up with a few measurements and got to work. The piece work actually came together pretty quickly, and the colors help it look weaved together and wintery.

 

 

I needed a backing to complete the project, and while at a local quilt shop, I browsed the clearance fabric and discovered this great teal fabric that compliments the front wonderfully. Best part, it was only $5/yard and cost $15 total! Love that!

 

 

 

I used some of the leftover candy fabric for the binding, and added my label. I still had a bit of leftover fabric and used it to create a table runner. I love table runners. I still need to add some final touches to that and hope to get that posted soon. Until then, I am going to enjoy my first Christmas quilt in forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment