Thursday, August 27, 2026

Asian Style Chicken and Snap Peas

 

As I grow as a cook, I am learning that if I want more authentic flavors, I need to use more authentic ingredients. When it comes to Asian dishes, that is even more true! I was on the hunt for a yummy Asian chicken dish that felt like it came from a restaurant. So, I started researching and learning about the different ingredients that make that work.

 

 

Chinese cooking wine, or Shaoxing wine, will add a rich Asian flavor different from just chicken broth. It enhances the food in a unique, and delicious way. I have also learned that Oyster Sauce is not something to fear. It actually has a savory tone that pulls into the chicken and, along with the wine, creates a uniquely Asian flavor.

 

 

These two ingredients will really ramp up your flavors. Sesame Oil is another very common product used, but I put a warning with this ingredient. It is very potent and can quickly overtake a dish. The smallest amount can add a wonderful sesame, almost nutty flavor to your dish. But too much can overpower the dish and the flavors become more bitter. Use it with caution. You can always add more, but you can’t take it away.

 

 

While I use snap peas, you can also enjoy snow peas, broccoli, carrots, whatever your heart desires. You can serve it alone, or with white or brown rice. It’s a fast and comforting weeknight meal when life is on the go.

 

 

Asian Style Chicken and Snap Peas

Prep: 15 minutes  Cook: 10 minutes

 

 

Chicken:

1 ½ - 2 lbs chicken, thinly sliced

1 ½ tsp baking soda

1 clove garlic, minced

2 c snap peas (or snow peas)

1 green onion

1 Tbs Peanut Oil

 

Sauce:

½ c chicken broth

2 Tbs cornstarch

2 Tbs Chinese cooking wine

2 Tbs Lite soy sauce

2 tsp oyster sauce

½ tsp sesame oil

½ tsp peanut oil

¼ tsp white pepper

½ tsp sugar

 

Prep the chicken and place it in a glass bowl. Sprinkle the baking soda over it. Mix it in and set it aside to rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prep the garlic, snap peas, and the onion.

 

Begin heating a large skillet or wok at high heat. While that heats up, mix the ingredients for the sauce together. After 15 minutes, rinse the chicken with a sieve to remove excess baking soda. Pat the chicken dry and add the peanut oil to the hot pan. If the pan is ready, the oil should roll and start to slightly smoke.

 

Add the chicken to the pan and don’t touch it. Let a sear form on the meat for a few minutes. You’ll know there’s a good sear when the chicken will move without sticking. After a few minutes, and a check that the meat is ready, stir the chicken to allow other sides of the pieces to get a cook as well. Add the garlic and stir it for a minute. Then add the snap peas and onion and stir them all together. Finally, add the sauce to the pan. It should thicken and coat all the food. If it seems too thick, you can add a little water to the pan to thin it out. Only add a bit at a time so it doesn’t thin it too much.

 

Serve over rice and garnish with some more fresh green onion. Serves 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment