Thursday, December 24, 2020

Chipotle Mexican Corn Soup

This one is so good! I couldn’t wait to get it in my recipe book. Especially since it’s a soup, and since I’m not a huge fan of soup, it’s extra exciting to find one I love!

 

 

I really think one of the reasons I’m not a huge fan of soup is because I don’t live in a region that gets very cold. It is a desert and does get cold at night sometimes, but the days are usually sunny and comfortable. Not commanding of the warmth and comfort that comes from soup.

 

That said, sometimes there are days you really just need a little comfort. And sometimes there are days that you really need a light meal with a little spunk. Holidays bring lots of treats and it’s easy to feel like overindulgence occurred.

 

 

Okay, back on topic. This soup is also very versatile, and it’s extra awesome when I can do lots of things to a recipe. Originally, it called for fresh-off-the-cob corn, but it’s not really the season for that. Instead, I used canned fresh corn and it worked great! I’m pretty sure it would have worked with frozen fresh corn as well.

 

 

Also, it called for spices I didn’t have… but I had this amazing chipotle chili powder that adds an amazing smokey, spicy flavor to the soup that I’ve never tasted before and absolutely fell head over heels for.

 

Finally, I added some shredded chicken to add more protein to the meal. Worked great! This recipe is definitely worth a try. And feel free to mix it up and make it your own.

 

Chipotle Mexican Corn Soup

 

1 cup onion, chopped

2 Tbs EVOO

4 cups corn kernels (cans drained, thawed out frozen, or fresh of the cob)

¼ tsp chipotle chili powder (more at the end if desired)

½ tsp salt (more at the end if desired)

½ tsp black pepper

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups Chicken Broth

½ cup sour cream

½ cup Queso Cheese

2 cups shredded chicken

4 Tbs cilantro, chopped

 

 

Heat the oil to medium-high in a large stock pot (I use my enameled cast iron pot). Brown the onion for a couple minutes. Make sure the corn is drained if necessary, and add it to the onion. Allow it to brown and soften for a few minutes. Add the spices and the garlic and allow it to savor for another minute. Remove about 1 ½ cups of the corn mix from the pot and set aside. Pour the chicken broth into the pot and bring it to a simmer for about 20 minutes.

 

Using your immersion blender, blend the soup to a smooth consistency. When you are happy with the creaminess of the soup, Add the sour cream and blend it another minute or until it’s mixed in. Remove the immersion blender and add the reserved corn, the cilantro, and the chicken. Allow everything to warm up and the chicken to take on some flavors. Finally, add the queso cheese and stir to mix it in consistently. Serve with toppings and sides like sour cream, more queso cheese, corn chips, or corn bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment