Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Scrappy Green Irish Chain Quilt

 

Back in the fall of 2021, I made a scrappy double irish chain using fall colors. I was so happy with how explosive and vibrant the colors were when mixed together in that pattern that I felt like I needed to try it again. Of course, I had to collect the fabrics for it first.

 

 

So, in the spring if 2022, I made a scrappy clover quilt which I’d been collecting fabrics for over a long period of time. When that was complete, I was left with a bunch of different sized scraps; perfect for making a scrappy double irish chain.

 

 

First, I decided on a very dark green to make the main crosshatch of the irish chain. Then I broke the other colors into lights and darks. I chose the colors that would follow the dark crosshatch, and which would surround the white center of the light sections.

 

 

I learned some lessons from my first scrappy double irish chain, like the size and how many blocks and how to organize the colors. This was a good way for me to test my newfound knowledge. I’m so glad I did!

 

 

I love how much POP of green there is and movement that flows through this quilt top.  I didn’t want to add borders as I wanted to keep it more modern and simplistic.

 

The backing was a green fabric that my mom had in her stash that she bought for a backing but then changed her mind about it. It looks like a batik with the color gradient movement but isn’t. I think it works perfect for this project.

 

 

Because of the busy nature of the quilt top. I kept the quilting simple with a basic meander. I was careful not to sew over the white pieces as I wanted to keep those as white as possible for the effect.

 

 

The binding is the same as the backing, and of course I added a tag. 

 

 

This was a fun finish, and I’m glad I was able to experiment more with color variation, pattern use, and sizing. It will be a great addition to my spring quilts for March.

No comments:

Post a Comment