Thursday, December 21, 2023

Red Christmas Gift Quilt

 

About 10 years ago, while visiting my sister in Seattle, I found the cutest little quilt shop; Keepsake Cottage. They later went online only, and have recently closed for retirement. Every time I went into that store, they had so many fabrics to choose from, including some wonderful fat eighths packs they created on-site with fabrics from different collections.

 

 

This particular year, I was looking for fun and bright Christmas fabrics. They had this beautiful pink and red Christmas themed pack that was irresistible! I had to go for it. Unfortunately, it got tabled for years while I was distracted with children and other quilt projects.

 

 

During pandemic, I pulled it back out and was determined to find the perfect quilt for it. It took a while, and the completion of a couple other Christmas quilts to get my inspiration.

 

 

I have always wanted to make a gift box quilt. So fun and whimsical, and these fabrics were perfect! Reds and pinks accented with teals and blues was just what I needed for this project.

 

 

I started with a pattern on my computer to determine the measurements for two different sized gifts. Once all those were assembled, it was a matter of putting it all together. I kept it simple and modern with white sashing, and then froze when I realized I really needed a border and backing.

 

 

Last summer while at a LQS, I found a bolt of one of the fabrics in the gift quilt! What?!? That is perfect! I bought the last of the bolt (of course), and used some for the final border and the rest for the backing and binding.

 

 

There wasn’t quite enough for the backing so I added another fabric that had the same teals and blues as the front of the quilt.

 

 

I wanted the gift boxes to pop out, so I used a simple curved quilting on them. I then used a meander on the sashing, and finally completed the border with curved clamshells reminiscent of what is quilted on the gift boxes.

 

 

I saved enough of the red star fabric from the binding, and finished it off with that and a label.  I’m glad I was able to finish just one more Christmas quilt this year. It was such a fun finish and I’m so happy I finally got to use this beautiful pack of fabrics I got so many years about.

No comments:

Post a Comment