Thursday, December 15, 2022

Granny's Holly Jolly Christmas Quilt

 

No, this isn’t really my Granny’s quilt. That would be cool though. This was a project I’ve thought about for a while and really wanted to keep the whole thing vintage style. I’m not sure why, but I don’t have a lot of Christmas quilts. Maybe it’s the time of the year hustle and bustle, or maybe because I’m trying to finish a bazillion other projects before the end of the year. Whatever the reason, I am on a mission to make this change.

 

 

In my stash, I discovered I had a charm pack called Swell Christmas by Urban Chiks. I fell in love with it all over again.  I love the vintage style fabrics, and wanted to collect more. In my search for more of that line, I discovered I was a few years too late and they’d moved on. I ordered what I could find of Swell, and then moved onto Holly Jolly until I could figure out something with the charm pack.

 

 

Meanwhile, Green Fairy Quilt Shop was having a sale on fat quarter packs so I snagged a Holly Jolly by Urban Chiks that has a similar vintage style. I knew right away I wanted to use a classic block pattern, and found Granny’s Square. Yes!

 

 

I matched up red with light pinks, pinks with whites, and greens with light greens. I tried to keep it as mixed up as I could, but somehow still ended up with similar and same fabrics near each other. Oh well, it’s the scrappy look that counts.

 

 

I kept a modern feel by not adding any borders, and made it a bit oversized for a lap quilt; it’s almost a twin. I did a simple meander for the quilting, and used a cute polka dot holly berry fabric from the collection for the backing.

 

 

I happened to go to a quilt expo as I was finishing this top and found a great red plaid for the binding that’s from the collection. Saved me from having to order it; yeah!

 

 

I’m not thrilled with my new tags, but oh well. I will keep hunting for something I like. My old ones would lay down nicely even after washing.

 

 

The funnest part of this quilt finish is that my kitties love it! They wanted to be on it before I even finished the binding. I have it on the couch as a throw and one of them is always curled up on it. Gotta love Moda fabrics.

 

 

Now I need to get the Swell Pack done. Maybe I can actually get two Christmas finishes this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment