Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Natures Lost Four-Patch Quilt

 

After finishing the Natures Beauty Garden Lattice Quilt, I still had a few pieces of 10” squares left from the layer cake pack. I decided to try making a hidden four-patch quilt. I have made hidden six-patches before, and I was intrigued with the narrow pieces and small squares. I had to give it a try.

 


To make the blocks, I simply took 2 white squares with 2 patterned squares. This created 2 blocks for every 10” square I had left to work with. Once I had the four patches sewn, I cut them and then mixed up the cuts to create a different look. I chose to go narrow, but you really could do whatever.

 

 
 

When it came to laying out the different patches, I tried to make it look random, but because I was working with so few pieces, it was really hard to avoid a pattern of some kind. I decided I was good with the semi-random, partly organized look. It was more about the flow of the colors than what patterns landed where. I really wanted the colors to pop and the quilt to have color flow, which I feel like I got.

 

 

 

 

Once I got all the blocks together, I felt like the quilt was still a bit small. I ordered some more fabric so I could create some borders. I went with a double thin border with a large center border so I could maximize on the borders while still having some variety and interest.

 

 

The backing was more of the pink floral fabric I used in the border. I love this fabric! It’s a fun pattern without it being too overwhelming, and the pattern is large which works great on a backing where you have a large piece of fabric.

 

 

The quilting was kept simple with a basic meander for the blocks of the quilt, and a simple quarter-inch-in straight stitch on the border.

 

 


Finally, I used some more of the teal fabric for the binding to complete the project. This was a fun finish. I love that I was able to use the whole layer cake pack and create 2 very different quilts with it. I also love all the bright colors and funky patterns. Very different from what I usually work with, but still cheery and modern like I like it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment