Thursday, September 15, 2022

Spring Flowers Hanky Quilt

 

 

So many years ago, while visiting my sister in Seattle, we spent a whole day visiting local quilt shops. We found this great little shop in an old-country-style village complex. There was a small community garden with chickens running around a everything. It was fantastic! My sister took the kiddos to see the chickens and get some candy from the little old time candy shop so I could have some time to browse.

 

 

Amongst many other fun finds, I found this little panel of hankies by Me and My Sisters Designs. I love their fabrics, and surprisingly have a difficult time finding them in my hometown in Arizona where they are located.

 

 

Although I was super excited to put this piece into a quilt, I wasn’t sure what to do with it yet, and I didn’t have any other complimentary fabrics to pair it with. So, this piece went into hiding until I could find some inspiration.

 

 

Fast forward to the pandemic and I was at home with kiddos and a lot of fabric to work through. I pulled this piece out first, but still had nothing to match it with so I had to continue waiting. That summer, however, while in San Diego, I talked my family into hanging out for lunch in a parking lot of an amazing quilt shop that has everything you could dream of. I was able to find some great pieces by Me and My Sisters that worked with my project.

 

 

I got home and started piecing things together. I wanted to keep the pattern simple so the hankies would be the star of the quilt. The hardest part was layout because even though I didn’t really want a pattern, I found that it was the only way to get the blocks to work together so I went for it.

 

 

My mom had this great green floral piece that worked perfectly for the backing with a bright pink stripe to bring it up to size. I used a meandering flower pattern for the quilting on each block. I felt like too busy a pattern would take away from the piecework.

 

 

I finished the quilt with an orange binding. I like that the orange pulls on colors from the front as well as the back of the quilt. It’s like it tying it all together.

 

 

This was a fun finish. I like the bright colors, and the adorable hankies. It would be a wonderful addition to a little girls room with all the bright colors and fun floral pattern. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment