Sunday, March 20, 2022

Quarantine UFO Series # 18, Letters from Kitty Quilt

 

SO long ago, an amazing friend was cleaning out her fabric stash and handed a bunch down to me. One of those collections included this super cute, absolutely adorable fabric. It had butterflies and flowers… and cats jumping around. It also had a fabric that was a series of letters from kitty telling the owner various things like only a kitty would.

 

 

I had this fabric for years, thinking about how best to use it. But it never got pulled out. Even when my quarantine series began, I looked at it but chose other projects to do instead. It was time to tackle the kitty quotes.

 

I decided the best approach for the quotes was too fussy cut them out. I cut as many as I could out of the 1-yard piece I had, making sure they were all the same size.

 

 

I found a pretty green and blue in my moms stash that matched the greens and blues in the other fabrics, and thought it pulled them together well. I had more green than blue, so I made more in that color. 

 

 

Once that was done, I broke them up into 4 equal piles. I had 4 fabrics in the collection to work with and decided to have floating blocks, so the corner the quote was set in would change. It worked for the most part, but sometimes it feels a little clustered or too organized. 

 

 

I played a lot with the layout. Checkerboard, stripes, random. I decided a diagonal stripe worked best. It created some variety without being overwhelming. Once they were all sewn together, I realized it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

 

 

I had fabric leftover, and I was trying to avoid that so I added the green border and the flower border to tie everything together.

 

I used the last of the leftover fabric in the backing, and completed the backing with a backing piece I found at the LQS.

 

 

On a quilt like this, it seemed the basic meander was the best approach. I used a pretty blue thread that matched the solid blue borders used on some of the quote blocks.

 

 

Finally, the binding was completed with the very last of the floral fabric, and I added the tag.  All done!

 

 

This quilt is so cute! My daughter was in love immediately! The fabrics are so soft, and it offers tons of funny entertainment.  I’m pretty sure it’s what my cats are thinking. This was a fun pattern to try as well. Something new and different for sure. And another UFO completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment